The guys over at XPS-Wiki have found a way to enable Stereo Mix on a Dell XPS M1730.
Originally, Dell reported that Stereo Mix was not enabled due to ‘hardware limitations’, however this mod provided by XPS-Wiki users (BatBoy & L33) has proved otherwise. The install process is simple too;
- Download the original IDT audio drivers (R196492) from Dell.
- Download the mod archive from here.
- Run the original install from Dell to extract the files, but quit the installer prior to the real installation.
- Locate the extraction path. The default is C:\Dell\drivers\R196492
- Depending on your system configuration, copy the appropriate files from the mod archive (32-bit or 64-bit directory) and overwrite the ones in the extraction path.
- Run setup.exe to perform the installation. (C:\Dell\drivers\R196492\setup.exe)
- Finally, reboot when the installer is complete.
XPS Wiki reported that there is 100% compatibility, but some elements of the audio driver (such as Jack detection and surround sound) don’t seem to work on my system. However I am not overly fussed, more importantly, Stereo Mix functionality is now enabled on my XPS.
Thanks XPS-Wiki for the mod :D.